Having trouble getting sound in Firefox when watching flash movies?
Below i have collected various tips that could potentially help you solve this problem.
Some have reported success in using a software called libflashsupport, this fixes the sound issue but atleast for me and some others it breaks Firefox and causes a lot of crashes, the best way to know if it helps for you is to try it, if it indeed crashes Firefox just uninstall it and try the other things suggested below.
You install it either via Synaptic Package Manager or via console like this.
$ sudo apt-get install libflashsupport
Using the latest Flash player and redirecting your sound to pulseaudio:
Make sure to remove both libflashsupport and flashplugin-nonfree if they are installed.
1. Start of by download latest beta build of flash for Firefox Here unpack it and run the included script.
$ sudo ./flashplayer-installer
2. Run following command to change your default sound server to pulseaudio.
$ asoundconf set-pulseaudio
3. Restart your computer and browse to a site with flash movies and try your luck.
Changing default output unit from pulseaudio:
It seems that the tip above worked until there was a NEW release of Firefox on Ubuntu(As of 08-07-24) and this tip helped me to get the sound back.
1. Go to System/Preferences/Sound
2. Change your audio output from the active one to either OSS or Alsa depending on wich one will work for you.
3. Unset pulseaudio as default server.
$ asoundconf unset-pulseaudio
3. Restart your computer to make sure it cleans out any active pulsaudio sound servers.
4. Try to watch a flash movie and see if sound has returned to you.
The sound issue in Firefox is getting tiredsum since you never no when it will break again.